Since I shop for a living, clients often ask me for gift ideas. Most of the time it’s a gift idea needed for someone who is hard to shop for. For husbands….that’s easy: Get your wife the gift of interior design! Some of my client’s husbands will call this time of year and ask me to order something that their wife has been pondering. Or ask me to come up with a surprise. Since our business is mostly custom, I will wrap a picture with a description of the item (a table, chandelier etc) in a beautiful box and then my client’s wife has a wonderful gift to open on Christmas and something to look forward to. It’s also a nice idea to gift someone you love with an hour or two interior design consultation. I know just the interior designer to help you with that as well (pssst….Amy Martineau Vermillion Interior Design). Some other ideas:
- Donation to a favorite charity in their name
- Gift of Service. What talent or gift of time can you give? In my case it would be spending some time helping move around furniture in their existing space. Or picking paint colors. Maybe you are a computer genius or have organizational skills? Perhaps someone in your life would just like some of your time to sit and catch up?
- A hand written letter expressing what that person means to you and how they have impacted your life. One of the most special gifts I have ever received was along this line. (It was actually a love sonnet written by Mr. V and it sent me over the moon.)
- Adopt an animal from World Wildlife Fund (It’s a great gift for children since they send you a plush animal and a bio on your animal. And, it teaches kids about conservation.
- Hire a professional photographer to capture a family moment. Then give the prints as gifts to all involved. My dear friend, Ellen Reed, is an amazing photographer and has been helping me document special events and times in my family’s life. I treasure those pictures!
- Membership to a local or national organization such as a Museum (Art Institute of Chicago, Mint Museum of Charlotte, Discovery Place Charlotte), Garden (Daniel Stowe Charlotte, Winghaven, Brookgreen Gardens) or Historical Trust (National Trust for Historic Preservation, etc) .
- Gift Certificate to a Nursery/Landscaping Service to buy/plant a tree in their honor. This was one of our wedding presents and every time I look out my window and see these fragrant shrubs, I think of our thoughtful friends. We also planted a Double Flowering Kwanzan Cherry tree when K was born and it is a beautiful reminder of her birth and the happiness she has brought us.
Happy Gifting and I hope you enjoy finding the perfect gift for the special people in your life!